Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nice is Nice

We are now in the South of France and realizing that we have been on fast forward, when we really need to slow down! We had nowhere to stay and tried a few places with no luck. We decided to run over to a hostel with no vacancy to ask for advice. Lucky for us, they had space! We are now staying in a hostel here. It is 5 floors, traditional on the outside, and Ikea on the inside. We are sharing a 4-person room with 2 sisters from Finland. They are 17 and 18. We took a bus up into the hills of Nice where we stumbled upon a beautiful church (with a dead body!), an amazing hillside park with olive trees, little dogs, and people under umbrellas, the Musee Matisse (art museum), and a whole excavated Roman city! Everything was free and we felt like we hit the jackpot. Also, being on a hill, we had an amazing view of Nice and the Mediteranean (I know, that's probably spelled wrong). We rode the bus back down and somehow ended up a mile in the wrong direction. The bus driver kicked us off but told us he'd come back and give us a free ride in 15 minutes. That's where we met the sweetest old lady. She reminded me of my grandma Betty and was so cute! We began talking to her in French, with the help of our dictionary, and found out she knew absolutely no English. Actually, I do think she said "New York," but that hardly counts. She taught us words and we were all laughing together. It was definitely one of the best experiences thus far. When the bus driver finally rescued us we began looking for some cheap food. My goal is 3euro for breakfast, 5 for lunch, and less than 10 for dinner. Hunter, on the other hand, just eats whatever. We ate at a little Italian place with awesome pizza and paninis. We're going back tonight for gelato. We haven't gotten to the beach yet, but we're shooting for tonight and tomorrow. Hunter is still passed out, but I'm ready! We'll be in Nice tonight (and I'M hoping tomorrow).

3 comments:

  1. hmmm this site is realling messing with my computer. Since I do not see my earlier comment I will again. Thanks Kieren for your wonderful descriptions and great detail of the trip. I do think by slowing down and "going with the flow" will make things easier and more enjoyable. Sounds like you are both having a great time. The hard work you both have put in to get to this point seems to be paying off for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the commentary Kier. I feel like I'm there in spirit. Glad you are having fun, and I hope Hunter took a bath. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Kieren!
    You can't see everything in one trip but it sounds like you are off to a good start. Just enjoy what you can. I really liked the story of the old lady at the bus stop. That's something you can't plan and will always remember. Talk to the locals as much as you can. They can point you to some of the best places.

    ReplyDelete