Friday, June 5, 2009

Bon Apetit!

Lyon is also the food capital of France. (Also, Old Town is the largest Renaissance district in all Europe). Finding a cheap dinner wasn't an option; we were forced to go gourmet.

It took a while to understand the menus, but then realized this: One price included one starter, one entree, and one dessert. French dining is the polar opposite of American. Waiters get to know you, the pace is very slow, and there are at least 3, but usually like 5, courses.

We decided on the 15 euro meal (expensive, but still a great deal for 3 courses). I got a green salad with goat cheese puffs, steak in wine sauce and potatoes, and creme brulee. Hunter got onion soup (REAL French Onion Soup!), sasauge and boiled potatoes, and a tarte+ice cream thing.

The goat cheese puffs were amazing, even though I was afraid to order them. They were very warm and the first taste is shockingly strong. If I was a kid, I would've spit it out. Taking a moment to handle/decipher the taste lead me to realize it was delicious. Hunter's soup was also amazing. I can't believe he'd never tried it before; he ate the whole bowl. My steak was great (I ordered a medium becausw the French apparently undercook all meat, which I think is a good thing! There's no well-done over here.). The potatoes were strange. Hunter's were boiled, so they had no flavor. Mine had a crazy tart taste. As for the dessert: excellent. I was shocked because I think the creme brulee I've had in the US was actually better. I didn't taste Hunter's, but he cleared his entire plate.

We walked home, feeling intoxicated by food. We were so full, yet felt good, and were slightly sluggish. It was so tasty! I think the US is missing out a lot with its fast food and supermarkets.

It's now Friday morning and we're off to Paris. The lady told us they were all full, but we found a backdoor route through Dijon. This time we'll actually see the Louve, and maybe also the gargoyles on top of Notre Dame. We're also planning a day trip to Versailles.

No comments:

Post a Comment